Pages

Friday, October 10, 2008

A little bit of R&R


The end of the week already, time seems to be flying by! The weekend hopefully means for most people a time of rest and renewal - hence the picture today. I drew this a couple of months ago when I was thinking about the theme of autumn, and used all the earthy colours and images. Although of course, orange is a beautiful fiery colour, reminiscent of summer which is only round the corner for us here in the Southern Hemisphere. I have a few seedlings beginning to grow from the plantings over the last couple of weeks, so I guess it's a time of renewal too. The drawing is in water soluble oil pastels, which I had never used before, but they have lovely rich colours which you can mix and blend into others just by smudging with water.

Yesterday I happened upon two fantastic art books in the library just by chance. They do say that when you need to learn something, the teacher appears! One is about felt-making and the other is about papermaking, which is probably going to be my next R&D project. There's so much to learn in the arts and craft field, but I think that's why I love it so much. If I do try any of the projects, you can be sure I'll post the results here, however they turn out!

No comments: