Pages

Monday, November 24, 2008

Find your moment of peace ...

The days seem to speed by on the countdown to Christmas, and I find myself increasingly busy getting ready for the festive season. As I've explained before I'm trying to make as many presents as I can, but today I conceded defeat and bought a few items from the garden centre near us - metal animals for the garden, which I can also honestly say I would not have a clue how to make myself, so it lessens the guilt a little! My friend and I looked at each other with horror today as we realized how close Christmas is - we were planning a get together for the beginning of December and were shocked to find we have a week less than we thought. But I will remain calm and NOT PANIC! When I was thinking about all this rushing that everyone finds themselves doing whether they want to or not it reminded me of the beautiful poem 'Desiderata', the first line particularly:

"Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence". - Max Ehrman, 1927.

... I'm feeling more at peace already.

Earlier this evening I was sitting on the sofa with my eldest son, who was watching me knit a doll for someone's present. He remarked that I always seem to be creating something, and how could I be so good at it and produce so much? I replied that it's not a matter of whether I'm any good or not, it's just that I love it so much I couldn't stop if I wanted to. It also warms my heart that the children notice what I am doing, and that they see creativity as a normal part of life. They're quite creative souls themselves, think I may display some of their work here too.

That's all for now, I'll share another part of the beautiful 'Desiderata' next time I write. You can find the entirety of the poem on the net, or you could visit the local library - a veritable treasure trove, and one of my favourite places on earth! Off to find my moment of silence ... bliss ...

No comments: