Pages

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Back in the blogosphere!





Yay! We are back on-line! We switched internet providers last week, and a small technical problem coupled with it being the weekend means we've been without an internet service for 4 days. We've been a bit lost without the net - you don't realize how much you rely on it until it's gone!

So to celebrate I'm posting lots of pictures of my felt hat I've been working on for a while! It was made from wool from a secondhand jumper bought at our local op shop, which I undid, knitted then felted. The first picture shows just how huge the hat is before felting! I did start felting by hand, but got fed up with that and put it in the washing machine which agitated the wool further and made it shrink even more. Then I had to roll the brim and pull the hat into shape over a mixing bowl (the best head shape and size I could find!) A finishing touch was to needlefelt some patterns around the bottom of the hat. One of my best friends back in England really dislikes the colour brown, so even though this hat is only light brown, I've felted some spots in a lovely bright orange which is her favourite colour. Being a sentimental old soul it means I'll think of my buddy every time I wear my hat!

No comments: