Pages

Saturday, June 13, 2009

A little bit creepy ...


My headless guardian doll ...


and my fearful snake from my dreams ...

Oooh! I haven't written for a few days, so I've got loads to talk about - where do I start? Well, it would be good to mention something I am thankful for, and that would be the quality time I had at Spotlight with my daughter yesterday. After visiting the orthodontist I was musing aloud whether we could fit in a quick visit to Spotlight before it closed, and she was all for it. I am easily persuaded so we walked around marvelling at glitter and sparkly fabrics and wools. We eventually bought some beading materials and some pirate fabric to make some pyjamas. I'd only gone in for some felting needles and gel medium, didn't end up with either but had a great time 'window' shopping as well as buying more for my ever increasing stash! And I cannot say how lovely it was to look round a craft shop with someone of a like mind, rather than dragging unwilling dad/sons around who'd rather be looking round a DIY store. It's a good job it was nearly closing time or else we'd have been in there for hours!

My guardian doll is gradually being completed. I'm fitting in small tasks between normal every day chores, and this week's task was to make some arms for my doll - all I've done at present is felt some vague hand shapes over a piece of copper wire, I will sew parts of the hand to make fingers, cover the wire with wadding then sew calico around it to make arms, then sew them to the doll. For now it is sitting on my desk just as above, a bit freakily without head and flesh on the arms, but I like to share the process as it happens rather than wait until I can post photos of the 'pretty' completed stage. Creation is a messy process!

I did some more art therapy with Linda this week. We had a look at my fears, trying to find why my reaction to most things is to be fearful. I painted some images from my dreams (see above) and wanted to know why in particular I dreamt about a snake, because I am so very frightened of them. After some discussion I came to the conclusion that the snake probably stands for fear itself as far as I am concerned and that is what it signifies in my dreams. So Linda asked me to turn it all around and look at the positive aspects of the snake, and we found out that the snake is a symbol of Mother Earth, wisdom and healing. A much better way to look at the snake - especially as I would love to become an art therapist myself one day and out of all the elements I identify with earth the most. It is almost as if by pushing away the snake all the time through fear, I am actually pushing away a part of myself. It was really very insightful, and I do have a few artworks in my head bursting to emerge all on the theme of snakes. Don't get me wrong, if I saw a snake in the bush (or on my doorstep as we did last year) I would still experience fear, but I have a lot more respect for them. It is also a lesson in how to turn a negative into a positive and that can only be good!

No comments: