Pages

Friday, January 22, 2010

Mother Earth Doll



15 days until my 40th birthday!!!! (Trying to make this look like a Bridget Jones diary!)

As my hand is still hurting from too much crafting I'm taking a break, I've been looking back through older project photos (I must say it's very frustrating not to be able to make art) and I found pics of my Earth doll I made for the Cloth, Paper, Scissors magazine competition. The 'make a Mother Earth doll' theme particularly interested me because I feel a great affinity with this lovely planet we call home, though I know I take it for granted too much sometimes. This doll was my little ode to Mother Earth, to show I love her as much as she loves us, despite us doing our best to destroy her slowly. She's a simple calico cloth doll made from my own pattern, painted with acrylic paints and embellished with beads and copper wire. The roots of the tree are basically quilted just to add a bit of interest. In the true spirit of recycling and sustainability I used a garland I'd made from yarn and beads a couple of years ago for her hair - I think the hair looks very theatrical and rather in the fashion of Marie Antoinette (which come to think of it, probably isn't that appropriate for recycling and re-using materials!). I had great fun making her, and hopefully my thoughts for our present and future relationship with our planet are clear. I'm really coming to love making dolls to express a story or message, they're a very powerful medium, and so much fun to make!

PS thanks dad for the proof-reading of yesterday's post - I've edited it! How cool is that to have my own proofreader all the way back in the UK! xxx ;)

No comments: