Pages

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Butterflies


I woke up with butterflies in my tummy this morning because I was nervous about meeting my blogger friend Sally.  We've 'talked' via our blogs for the past year or so, admired each other's creations and shared moments of motherhood woes and life experiences.  Really we knew quite a bit about each other already ... but I always get those nerves when I'm up to something new.

Anyway, we had the most lovely morning tea.  Dear Sally had already chosen a seat inside the cafe as she knew I hate the heat, and we sat and chatted non-stop over our coffees (mine iced and hers hot!).  We put the world to rights, spoke about motherhood, our love for craft and creativity and how we both view it as a necessity in our lives; food for the soul.  We talked about how we're all caught in a consumer society that puts little value on unique, handmade goods - when did we all begin to want to be the same as everybody else? 

One of the best things I got out of today though was when I was explaining that I don't use my little studio as much as I want to, and that I don't produce as many art works as I would like.  Sally asked straight out why was that - and I floundered around for answers; the best I could come up with was that I was scared no-one would like my work!  It sounded so silly to my ears and I realized that I'm just making excuses.  So, thank you Sally for your wonderful honesty, your hints on crafting, crochet and blogging, but most of all your company - it was a great way to start my day and how wonderful to meet someone in the 'real' world that I'd first met in the virtual world of blogging.  The community spreads a little wider :)

1 comment:

Sally said...

I know! I had such a great morning too... I found embroidery thread 349 @ the Spotty near by. YAY! ... and then quickly dashed into the Vinnies before heading home.
I fear I may have talked too much. I can do that when I'm a little bit nervous but I it was so exciting to meet someone that loves craft as much as I do. Really really fabulous. ... and now when I read your blog I hear your accent too!