Pages

Friday, February 4, 2011

Illustration Friday - surrender

"Art is nothing but the expression of our dream; the more we surrender to it the closer we get to the inner truth of things, our dream-life, the true life that scorns questions and does not see them." ~ Franz Marc



 
What an awesome topic for this week's Illustration Friday.  As the week has gone on I have been contemplating the theme of surrender, which has spoken to me in so many ways, and my painting has evolved as time has passed.

So, what does this picture mean to me?  The swing is surrendering to my inner child - seeing things in the new way that children do naturally, also not to take life or myself too seriously.  Like me, do you love that feeling of freedom, total letting go of fear as you make the swing go higher and higher, the wind brushing your hair alternately over and away from your face?  I surrendered also in my painting methodology - I usually paint in acrylics so watercolour is a totally new medium (which I am loving), I left myself only a little time to complete the picture so had to surrender to looser, free-flowing techniques and just 'went for it' - how free it felt to paint like that, setting no expectations for myself.  Lastly, note the white streak in the hair - that's me accepting that I'm getting older!  I'm turning 41 this weekend and I do have my fair share of grey hairs; I want to accept myself as I am as I age and not get too frightened by it - and I am really happy and comfortable as I am.  Wow, that feels really good to state that here, after many years of fighting with depression and low self-esteem - this assignment has helped me surrender in many more ways than I could have thought possible.  Hope you take something from the picture too - art is for everyone, as you know I'm a firm believer of that.  Have a fabulous Friday. xx

No comments: