Pages

Monday, April 25, 2011

A Creativity Quote


I've just finished reading "Knitting Through It: Inspiring Stories for Times of Trouble" compiled by Lela Nargi.  It's a collection of essays and stories by people who use knitting as a way to connect with others, to get them through tough times, to evoke memories, amongst other themes; and if like me, you love to share stories and hear other perspectives on life you will love this book.

One quote stuck with me and I'd like to share it now:

"Everything we create - pies, paintings, songs - resonates with our deepest needs as human beings, as creative beings, to make things of beauty and worth.  It's this act of creation that allows our souls to breathe, enables us to activate our spiritual selves and connect with nature."   
(From the essay 'Knitting My Urban Escape by Barbara DeMarco Barrett).

At the moment I'm working on another afghan, crocheting for all my life is worth.  When I'm feeling a bit scattered I've realized that crochet makes me feel as if I'm in control of something, I'm creating something that is real and I have a creation - if only a single square - in a very short time.  It keeps me grounded, and I like the structure it gives me when my mind is wondering off chasing my own original creative ideas that I can't quite grasp for the moment.  And you just thought crochet was good for keeping warm :)

No comments: