Pages

Sunday, January 3, 2016

Bombshell Swimsuit by Closet Case Files

WARNING:  This post contains images of a potentially disturbing nature - as Kitschy Coo said 'there is only a yard of fabric between me and nudity' (yikes!) as well as nerdy sewing info.  As an aside I want to make her swimsuit next - the Kitschy Coo Pin-up swimsuit.  Well, you were told ....

The happenings contained herein occurred yesterday, but with a combination of overheating, a couple of Singapore Slings and attempting to blog too late in the evening, the reporting was postponed until today. Still, as it's taken just over a year to finally complete this project I don't suppose an extra day makes much difference.

So, without further ado I present to you my Bombshell swimsuit ...




The pattern is by Heather Lou of Closet Case Files. I used the sewalong notes in the blog, which have lots of pics to make it really clear - I found the info really clear and easy to follow.   Follow the link to have a peek.   I used some swimwear Lycra I had in my stash, hence the two tone effect as I didn't have quite enough of either one for a complete suit.  As I will only be wearing this at home, it's not a major issue.  I would quite like to make a patterned version all in the same fabric, but I will need to recover from all the gathering and basting first - there is a lot of gathering, which you need to get even, so it takes time.  A word on the basting too: next time I will use zig-zag stitch as opposed to overlock, as it makes the seams quite thick and now I have some overlocked basting stitches to pick out (they are staying put for the moment!)  I really felt for Heather Lou as she described the horror of her machine jumping zig-zag stitches until I realized I had her machine's evil twin, then it became all about me :)   Again, patience is a virtue (and the Singapore Sling helped I'm sure).


Having said that, I love the way the swimsuit looks when it's on; it feels great too - it has a few layers of fabric which end up giving lots of support.  I am not a little girl, but this top didn't require sewing in extra support in the form of foam cups or a bra shelf, and gives my DD's (sorry if that's info overload, but it's very important to us 'busty' types - overspill can be very frightening to those around us!) plenty of support, which I was very pleasantly surprised by.   All in all it's definitely worth having a go at making.





2 comments:

Janet said...

This is wonderful! I love the two tone. I am off to look up her instructions....

Chris said...

Look at you, movie star!